Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I don't know how people live without God in their lives. He is soooo AWESOME!
Dr. Ching. Josh's surgeon came to talk to us at about 945 last night. Surgery went very well. Josh lost 6L of blood, more then what they would have liked but they were expecting blood loss, the anesthesiologist stayed on top of it. Dr. Ching was able to do most everything that he wanted, for the most part. He put pins and rods down his spine from T4 I believe all the way down to hook to his pelvis. He was able to remove as much of the tumors from T9 and L1 that he could without doing any damage to his spinal cord. The tumor at L4 is on the inside of the spine and was unable to be seen. Therefore it didn't get touched. That was expected and that tumor at this time isn't causing any problems and shouldn't for awhile. Dr. Ching said that there is a chance that the tumors at T9 and L1 will grow back in that area but there is no way of telling. And he said that he bought him a lot of time by removing what he did. Lets see...what else... oh he put cages around the T9 and I think the L1 vertebra. Basically a fake vertebra...to support what is left of them. Those mean ole tumors were just eating up the bone.
The hardest thing for me through all of this wasn't the waiting...not the surgery nor him being in such pain but seeing him after he got to ICU last night. Breathing tube, IV lines in his neck, leads all over, his puffy face/body....I knew in my mind that it was all normal, but it just brought back the memories of seeing mom right after she went to be with Jesus. We were told all the way through that he would be on the ventilator for 1-3days and stay sedated. Well last night Josh started moving around and opened his eyes. :0 Freaked me out! The nurses said that was normal and that they want him to wake up so they can see how he responds as far as movement and communication. I kept asking if he would remember any of it and I was reassured he wouldn't. However at 600 this morning Josh tried to pull his breathing tube out. He has been awake ever since then and at about 900 all of his "numbers" which ever they are were good and they took the tube out! God is good! Josh was trying so hard to communicate to get that darn tube out and trying to do it himself, they strapped his arms to the bed. He is sleeping now. Still heavily medicated. The anaesthesia is wearing off. He feels like hes got a "big rock on his chest". His sternum area is really sore, and his belly is very bloated. He just wants to drink something, which he can in about an hour. He is concerned because it's hard for him to move. He said his "back feels weird" (really) and he saw an "big ape" walk by not long ago. :) gotta love that Fentanyl. The best pain med known to man! Oh and man is he grouchy. His hearing has increased and a tiny noise of us whispering or papers rustling makes him frustrated. He apologised for complaining. I told him he has every right to complain and be grumpy no worries. I am just so thankful that we are where we are today. It's been a long road. I know the journey is far from over but I just feel like we've jumped a big hurdle. He isn't out of the clear yet. BP and HR is up and down. To be expected from the loss of fluids and all the meds. But for now things look good.
God does answer prayers and no one can tell me he doesn't I've seen it! All praise and glory is given to him!
AMEN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Josh & Family,
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love,
Your half sister Angie